Skip to content
SUNY GCC - Genesee Community College

Federal Aid Programs (Title IV)

Federal Pell Grant

Pell grants are Federal grants which never need repayment and are the single largest grant source of aid to Genesee students.  The size of your grant will be based on your family income and assets. Federal Student Aid Information: 1-800-433-3243

  • Eligibility: Enrolled in at least 3 credit hours, U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, good academic standing, based on Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by federal government.
  • Amount: Ranges from $652 to $6095 annually
  • Repayment: None
  • How to apply: File your FAFSA; applications are available on the FAFSA Website, at our Financial Aid Office or your high school guidance office.


The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a campus based program.  SEOG is awarded to students that demonstrate extreme financial need, as determined by the FAFSA.  Preference is given to full-time enrolled students.  Funding is limited.  File the FAFSA early for first consideration.

Apply for New York State Aid


The New York  State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State.  TAP is a New York State grant program.  Eligible students will receive TAP after Census (approximately 6 weeks in to the semester). Need more TAP information? Visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website or contact the TAP Hotline at 1-888-697-4372.

  • Eligibility: Full-time, enrolled, U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, good academic standing, fall within income limits, New York state resident
  • Amount: Ranges between $100 and 100% of Genesee tuition, depending on family income.
  • Repayment: None

Excelsior Scholarship

The Excelsior Scholarship is available to eligible students living in New York state and enrolled in New York public colleges and universities. The scholarship is a “last dollar” scholarship and will cover the cost of tuition not met by the student’s other federal, state, institutional and private sources of grant assistance.

New Applicants

The Excelsior Scholarship application for 2019-2020 is open until August 15, 2019. Visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website or contact NYS at 1-888-697-4372.

Current Recipients

If you are a current Excelsior Scholarship recipient, you do not need to apply again. However, you will have to complete both the FAFSA and NYS TAP applications each year.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) is a grant available to part-time student taking at least 3 credit hours.

  • Eligibility: 3-11 credits per semester, U.S. citizen and New York state resident, good academic standing.
  • Amount: Varies
  • Repayment: None

New York State Part-Time Scholarship

The NYS Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program provides up to $1,500 per semester for four semesters, in addition to other federal and state grants, to eligible students enrolled at a New York state community college. Sign up to receive more information at HESC website.

Eligibility requirements:

  • Attend a SUNY or CUNY community college.
  • Take between 6 and 12 credits a semester.
  • Maintain a 2.0 or above grade point average (GPA).
  • Currently enrolled students are eligible.
  • May receive a PTS Award in addition ot other federal and state grants for part-time students. File the FAFSA at and Aid for Part-time Study application.
  • Submit a PTS Award Program application at the HESC website (sign up to receive notifications).

Grant Services

The Office of Grant Services at Genesee Community College supports the institutional goal of expanding resources through external funding and effective stewardship of College assets. In addressing this goal, the Office serves the College community with assistance in writing, submitting, implementing, and overseeing grant-funded initiatives, as well as report preparation and providing liaison activities with funding providers. Grant application procedures for Genesee Community College faculty and staff are available on the Employee/myGCC platform.

Funding Resources

The Office of Grant Services interacts with various external funding agencies including Federal, State, and Local governments; businesses and industries; school districts; and other higher education institutions, as well as a variety of not-for-profit organizations. Current grants from diverse funding sources include academic programming and student support services; opportunity programs; childcare services and assistance; economic development and workforce training; and infrastructure improvement initiatives.